Persuasive Essay

​Have you ever wondered if social media affects your mental health? Have you ever thought about how it affects others? Did you ever stop and think about how bad social media is? Some of you might agree with what I am saying but others might hate me for what I am about to say. Social media usage affects anxiety and depression.

When it comes to the topic of social media in association with depression and anxiety, most of us will readily agree that social media use can correlate with mental health issues. Where this agreement usually ends, however, is on the question of is social media really a problem? Whereas some are convinced that social media is one of the best things to happen and it positively affects lives, others maintain that social media can ruin lives. Social media usage affects anxiety and depression. ​In a Hoge E., Bickham D., and Cantor J., 2017 study of Digital Media, Anxiety, and Depression in Children study, it is stated adolescents who would rather interact with others online are more vulnerable. For example,”​ If adolescents preferentially seek online experiences over in-person ones, social anxiety symptoms could worsen in vulnerable individuals. Furthermore, researchers have found that individuals reporting symptoms consistent with social anxiety disorder endorsed a growing “reliance upon the Internet as a social outlet to the exclusion of face-to-face interactions”. In other words, ​adolescents prefer online interactions rather than in person interactions and that can lead up to an increase of social anxiety disorder. Personally, in my experiences, yes social media can become a way of communication, however too much of it can cause someone to be dependent on it and that is when you get attached to something or someone that really is not there.

Another topic in discussion is cyberbullying. Cyberbullying can be negatively correlated with social media. In the same study,​ “​A recent meta-analysis of 131 studies highlighted the following key findings: (1) most estimates of the prevalence of cyberbullying among adolescents fall between 11% and 48%, depending on the definition of cyberbullying, group demographics, and the reporting time frame; (2) there is a substantial degree of overlap between adolescents who bully others offline and those who engage in cyberbullying (similarly, victims of cyberbullying are often victimized offline); and (3) adolescents who experience cyberbullying are at increased risk for a wide range of mental and physical health problems. The majority of victims report negative feelings, such as embarrassment, worry, fear, depression, or loneliness after cyberbullying events.​​ Simply put,​ ​a recent meta-analysis of 131 studies highlighted three key findings and one of them stated adolescents who experience cyberbullying are at increased risk for a wide range of physical and mental health problems. Additionally, the majority of victims report having negative feelings like, embarrassment, fear, worry, depression, or loneliness after cyberbullying events. ​My whole life I have heard all about cyberbullying and how emotionally scarred it can leave a person. It is hard for people who depend on social media and then for them to be bullied in the one place they feel at peace in is hard and painful. Cyberbullying can take a toll on a person and it can ultimately lead to suicide or other related issues.

There is a point made that social media can actually help adolescents with their depression and social anxiety. ​Study states “ ​Similarly, not all types of electronic media use would be expected to worsen depression. Because increases in momentary positive affect may lower some people’s risk for depression, certain types of media use that have this effect could be therapeutic. Media use that provides effective distraction, humor, connection to peers, and a wide social network could serve to help adolescents avoid depression and potentially reduce its impact on their functioning. Although emerging research seems to point to communication technology as contributing to depression through social comparison and other means, not enough work has been completed examining if and how depressed young people turn to this type of contact to help cope with negative affect.” To put it this way, ​not all types of electronic media use would be expected to worsen depression. Moreover, media can have a positive effect and lower some people’s risk for depression and this effect could be therapeutic. Media use that provides effective distraction, humor, connection to peers, and a wide social network could serve to help adolescents avoid depression and potentially reduce its impact on their functioning. As well, social media can give relief, provide individuals with laughter, and can reduce the risk of depression. In a Dew, A., M., Escobar-Viera., G., C., Primack, A., B., Sidani, E., J., Shensa, A. (2018) Social Media Use and Depression and Anxiety Symptoms: A Cluster Analysis several studies have found no association between increased daily time spent on Facebook and depression. There is also evidence that being emotionally connected to social media use is not associated with depression and anxiety and in some cases, may provide social capital, and increased life satisfaction. Moreover, “Three clusters—Unplugged, Concentrated Dabblers, and Diffuse Dabblers—were not associated with depression or anxiety. This finding supports the notion that moderate media consumption may not be associated with mental health risks for some individuals. It may be that for individuals in these clusters, social media are simply tools for maintaining and building relationships, rather than replacing in-person relationships. Additionally, these individuals may be benefitting from self-expression and identity development via social media, which supports a more youth-normative perspective of SMU​”. Simply, there are three clusters involved in this portion of the study; unplugged, concentrated dabblers, and diffuse dabblers. These clusters were not associated with depression or anxiety. The finding supports the notion the overuse of media is not associated with mental health risks for some individuals. Instead, social media is a way of communicating and maintaining and building relationships and friendships rather than replacing in-person relationships. Individuals are benefiting from self-expression and identity development through social media. To refute this claim, I personally believe it all depends on certain people and how they deal with their trauma. In comparison, just like the first article, this study states “Research suggests that increased social media consumption may lead to negative online experiences, fewer in-person social interactions, and decreased ability to sustain attention”. This suggests that social media consumption could lead to negative online experiences, less in person interactions, and decreased ability to pay attention. This is terrible but think about the bright side of things. , Furthermore, “there is conflicting research on the association between SMU and depression and anxiety. For example, several studies have found no association between increased daily time spent on Facebook and depression”. In short, there was no correlation between social media, like Facebook, and depression. Therefore, SMU has no affect or little affect on depression and anxiety.

Even though there is little to no evidence about social media and depression, that does not mean it stays unlikely to happen. Referring back to the Hoge E., Bickham D., and Cantor J., 2017 study of Digital Media, Anxiety, and Depression in Children study in one instance, “​how one feels about or experiences social media may be a more salient indicator of the effect of social media on an individual than simply the quantity of consumption or exposure to social media. For example, several studies found that users may develop addictive or problematic levels of SMU, which have been associated with increased anxiety and depression.​ ​These associations may be attributable to the increased likelihood of individuals who experience depression and anxiety also developing addictive behaviors.” It is all about the person and how they feel about the matter, everyone is different. People can be addicted to social media and that can lead to depression and anxiety. It is also said that “negative consequences of problematic SMU, such as neglecting one’s “real-life” responsibilities and relationships, may lead to depression and anxiety. Similarly, individuals who feel more emotionally connected to social media may be more susceptible to negative social interactions and feedback, and subsequently, at higher risk for depression”. An individual can be so caught up in their social media reality that they become consumed by it. Hence, why social media can negatively impact someone’s life.

Conclusively, study shows that social media does have a negative correlation with depression and anxiety. To make matters personal, I go for both sides of the argument. I only say that due to experiencing both the positive and negative aspects of social media use. Unfortunately, I was cyberbullied and that made me go into depression and it was the start of my anxiety. Every time I logged onto Facebook, I would get messages, hateful messages, I was only 10 at the time too. However, when I took some time off I got better. Now I use social media for comedic purposes or to keep in contact with my family and friends. All in all, I still believe it is all about the purpose. (so what and who cares) ​Now I know what you are thinking, “why should I care about any of this”. Let me tell you why, studies like this can be a way of questioning your everyday routine and wonder if it is benefitting your mental and physical health or is it hurting you.

Works Cited

Bickham, D., Cantor, J., Hoge, E. (2017). Digital media, anxiety, and depression in children. Pediatrics 140 (Supplement 2), S76-S80.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/140/Supplement_2/S76

Dew, A., M., Escobar-Viera., G., C., Primack, A., B., Sidani, E., J., Shensa, A. (2018) Social Media Use and Depression and Anxiety Symptoms: A Cluster Analysis. 42(2):116-128.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5904786/